Travelers Stranded in Taraba Following Collapse of Namnai Bridge
Motorists and travelers have been left stranded in Taraba State after the collapsed Namnai Bridge along the Jalingo-Wukari federal highway was further impacted by heavy rainfall, which washed away an alternative route set up by local villagers. The incident occurred on Wednesday, leaving travelers stuck on both sides of River Namnai.
Recently, Taraba State Governor Agbu Kefas visited the site of the collapsed bridge and assured that the state government would take over the reconstruction. LEADERSHIP also gathered that the state government had awarded the N19bn reconstruction contract for the bridge to Cloneburge Construction Company.
During his visit, Governor Kefas promised that an alternative route would be provided for travelers until the bridge could be rebuilt. However, the promise was not fulfilled before the heavy rains on Tuesday night, which washed away the makeshift bridge built by local residents.
LEADERSHIP’s correspondent visited the site early Wednesday morning and found that the wooden makeshift bridge, constructed by the villagers, had been completely washed away by the downpour. Travelers and motorists were left stranded on either side of the river.
In response, local youths began assisting stranded passengers by carrying them across the river on their backs, while commercial vehicles were forced to detour to their departure points without passengers.
“We have no choice but to return to Jalingo. Our passengers are crossing on people’s backs, and there’s no other way to get across,” said Mr. Tony Abume, a commercial driver, who spoke with our correspondent at the riverbank.
Iliasu Namnai, a youth leader who had organized the villagers to help passengers cross, explained that the effort was not a money-making venture. “Although we charge a small fee, our primary goal is to assist people in reaching their destinations. We are calling on Governor Agbu Kefas to fulfill his promise to rebuild the bridge. We are overwhelmed by the challenge of getting passengers across,” Iliasu said in Hausa.
Efforts to reach the State Commissioner for Works, Mr. Moseh Luka, for a comment were unsuccessful, as his phone was unreachable, and he was not available at his office at the time of the visit.